Sensory Friendly Nutcracker Performance
Colorado Conservatory of Dance is in its seventh year of offering Ballet Expressions – a program which uses dance to build critical developmental skills and physical strength and flexibility for children with special needs ranging from Cerebral Palsy to Down Syndrome. Building on their expertise with this core program, CCD has developed a theatre experience for people with special needs. CCD is in its fourth year of offering this magical experience for those with sensory, social and learning disabilities
For this rare opportunity, however, CCD will alter the normal house rules, fostering the opportunity for families with a special needs family member to feel welcomed in a theatre setting. The performance will feel and look the same as our performances which are open to the general public, but will allow for reactions that would normally be seen as distracting in a typical theatre experience.
- Sound levels will be adjusted to a moderate, consistent level to avoid unpredictable loud sounds.
- House lights will be left up to avoid total darkness.
- Guests of Honor will be encouraged to bring manipulatives into the theatre.
- Guests of Honor may react to the story on the stage in the way that feels right to them. They may stand up, walk around, take breaks, etc. as needed.
- Seating will be limited to no more than half the house (300 seats) to ensure each audience member has adequate room.
Audience members also have the opportunity to meet the Nutcracker Prince, Clara, and many other characters from the ballet after the show for autographs and photos to complete the magical experience.
Friday, December 15 at 6:30pm
Call 303.466.5685 to order tickets.